S F version 1N

Chicken Salad on Who?

Monday, April 04, 2005

For the Love of Coffee

So, I was at the BiLo to buy milk, bread, and coffee (the staples of life), I get in the express lane, trying to save time, and the woman in front of me has only a green pepper and a carton of eggs, so I think I've got it made. She spends the next five minutes, though, trying to bargain with the cashier to let her only buy four eggs because, as she explains, she only has a $1.26. The cashier, of course, won't let her, so she proceeds to count out all of her money, which happens to be all in nickels plus one penny. So my quick trip to the store has already turned into ten minutes, half of which has been spent in the "express lane", so the cashier calls the manager over to explain that she cannot buy only four eggs because no one would buy only eight. She explains her plight of only having $1.26 and not getting paid until tomorrow, so being the kind hearted person that I am (and wanting to get my ass out of the store), I offer to include her items in my order, to which the manager responds, "Do you know this woman?" I said, "No, it's not a big deal, I'm just in a hurry." The manager says, "That's kind of unusual, we don't normally do that." So I glance around and notice that there is a line forming behind us and he finally says ok. The cashier rings all of the items up, and hands the women the green pepper and carton of eggs (all twelve of them). The best part of the story is that the woman turns to me, says "Thank you", and walks away. She didn't even offer me her $1.26.
Lesson learned: Don't offer help, run from the needy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home